Emma Maddox Building

Emma Maddox Building

History of Emma Maddox

Emma Malinda Mouldin Walker Maddox was born in Strawberry, Tennessee in 1870. She was the daughter of William J. and Sara Ann Mouldin. Her parents moved to Greenville, South Carolina when Emma was an infant. 

When Emma was of school age she enrolled in Matroome Presbyterian Private School for Girls. After finishing Matroome, she furthered her education by attending Benedict College in Columbia, South Carolina. At Benedict she met Reverend James Walker. After completing her education at Benedict, Reverend Walker and Emma were married. To this union eight children were born: Sara, James, Felton, William, Mary, Maggie, Zenobia, and Celeste.

Reverend and Mrs. Walker moved to Ware Shoals, South Carolina in 1917 to teach at a small school in Briar Hollow. The school was called the Ware Shoals School. Reverend Walker was principal from 1917 until he died in 1919. Mrs. Walker became Principal after her husband died.

In 1928, Mrs. Walker married Rev. J. S. Maddox after which the Ware Shoals School was called the Emma Maddox School of Ware Shoals. Mrs. Maddox continued to teach and remain the Principal until she died in 1942 at the age of 72. 

Mr. Ashe became Principal in 1942- 1943. Professor Bryant was Principal in 1943- 1944. Professor Posley was Principal in 1944 for six months. Professor Ashe again became Principal in 1944.

A new school was erected in 1950 on West Main Street and Professor Ashe remained Principal until 1965. The new school was dedicated in memory of Mrs. Maddox, and was officially given the name of Emma Walker Maddox School of Ware Shoals, by Mr. Camak, the Superintendent of Schools. Mr. Price was Principal from 1965-1968. In 1968, the school district was integrated and the name was changed to the Ware Shoals Junior High School. In 1991, grades 4, 5, and 6 moved into the building and the name of the school became Ware Shoals Elementary School. On September 29, 1991 the elementary school building was officially dedicated the Emma Maddox Building. A portrait of Mrs. Maddox hangs in the front hallway along with a plaque, which is inscribed as follows:

 
This Building Is Dedicated

As A Tribute To

EMMA MADDOX

In Recognition Of

Her Strong And Wise Efforts

In Establishing And Maintaining

A High Standard Of Education

In This Community And

Will Henceforth Be Called The

Emma Maddox Building

Board Of Trustees, 1991 

Last Modified on September 1, 2009